Orlando Premarital Couples Counseling for Same Sex Couples
GroundWork Counseling is an LGBT affirming practice, and we are happy to offer premarital counseling and couples counseling to same sex couples. Recent historic changes in the Florida State marital law now allows same-sex couples, who before could only dream about getting legally married, the opportunity to have their relationship recognized as legitimate. With same-sex marriage now legal in Florida, many gay and lesbian couples are happily planning their upcoming nuptials in the Sunshine State.
Whether you and your fiancé are in a fairly new relationship or if you have been a couple for many years, your upcoming marriage is an exciting adventure, but saying those vows shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Research has found that lasting marriages have the following in common:
- The couple married after age 25.
- The couple spent at least 2 years really getting to know one another. According to research, 2.4 years of courtship appears to be the ideal time.
- The couple enjoys doing a variety of things together but also enjoys just spending time at home. A preference for being constantly on the go can be an indication that, when given the option, the couple would rather not be alone together.
- The couple discussed big issues thoroughly before getting and premarital couples counseling was often utilized.
For a number of reasons, many same sex couples often do not engage in premarital counseling, thereby missing out on an excellent tool for relationship enrichment. Premarital couples counseling can help couples to attain relationship developments regardless of sexual orientation, religious background, race or social standing. As a matter of fact, the most common problems for couples (sex, money, in-laws, parenting, use of free time, tidiness/chores) are just as common in gay and lesbian relationships as they are in heterosexual relationships.
However, same sex or LGBT couples often face additional issues that include:
- Lack of family support for the couple
- Lack of cultural and social support for the couple
- Difficulties of coming out as a couple
- Additional pressure about determining whether children fit into the relationship
Now that gay and lesbian couples can marry in the State of Florida, we encourage you to take the time to assess your relationship strengths and explore areas that can be improved so you can take your relationship to the next level – and we’d be happy to help. By considering communication styles, relationship roles and family of origin issues, you can grow together as a couple and establish new, healthier patterns as you enter this new commitment together.
For those of you getting married – congratulations! We, at GroundWork Counseling in Orlando, wish you a happy and long-lasting marriage and we’d be honored to provide you with premarital counseling to help set the foundation for a strong marriage.