Orlando Premarital Counseling
Prepare for Life Together at GroundWork Counseling
Getting married? Congratulations!
All couples begin their life together with a strong commitment and each couple has the intention of making their relationship a success. Yet statistically, nearly 50% of all marriages end up in divorce. Most couples enter into a commitment with unrealistic expectations about relationships and marriage, which is often promoted by popular culture, media and myths. In addition, many individuals don’t have good relationship role models, and often, old patterns are repeated.
At GroundWork Counseling, premarital counseling sessions are religion-neutral and are designed to give you and your spouse-to-be a road map to a successful marriage. Pre-marital counseling is offered to heterosexual and same-sex couple. Pre-marital counseling is offered as a series of 6 sessions, during which the couple will address a wide range of issues, choices and topics.
The sessions are comprised of the following sections:
- Session 1. Meet and Greet. An information gathering session that focuses on how the couple met, why they are getting married and explores family history.
- Session 2. Family. In this session, the couple will explore what “family” means to the couple. This will include a focus on in-laws, having children, parenting styles and the importance of common values.
- Session 3. Communication. The session emphasizes how to get one’s needs met, emphathetic listening, validation and barrier’s to self-expression.
- Session 4. Conflict Management. Contrary to popular belief, all happy couples fight. Here we will explore the Gottman’s 4 Horsemen and learn the art of compromise.
- Session 5. Finances. Setting financial goals, short and long term financial planning, and budgeting will be topic of the session.
- Session 6. Friendship & Intimacy. Research on the importance of friendship and intimacy will be discussed and we will learn how to keep the fires burning.
According to the latest research, the most valuable investment you can make in the long-term success of your relationship is to attend pre-marital counseling. Give yourself the best wedding present you will ever get by attending premarital counseling!